Please mark your calendars for the following upcoming new events at Falfurrias FUMC:
(1) Weekly Bible Study - We began the study on Friday May 18, 2018 and will continue every Sunday from 6pm to 7:30pm in the Fellowship Hall. As of February 17th we are about thru the book of Deuteonomy, which is the 5th book of the 66 books in our Christian Bible. If you have been putting off reading the bible, cover to cover, here's your chance to jump in and do it with others in your church family :)
All are invited to attend!!
(2) Monthly Christian Movie Night - Saturday February 23, 2019 at 5:30pm. Movie to be "Amazing Grace". Refreshments will be in the Fellowship Hall and the Movie will be shown in the Sunday School Room. Everyone is invited to attend!!
(3) Ash Wednesday Service - Wednesday March 6th from 12 noon until 1pm. All are invited :)
(4) Hands of Hope - Open every Wednesday from 10 an to 2 pm. Contact Rosie at 361-522- 5306 for more information.
(5) Methodist Counselor – Every Wednesday from 1pm to 5pm in the Church Parlor. (Sponsored by Methodist Health Care Ministries - Please contact Richard Sanchez at 361-442-3670 or 361-992-9540 for details)
(6) Purple Door Counselor - Every Tuesday from 9am to 5pm in the Church Nursery.
(Please contact Jenyse Rodrigues for details. Jenyse can be reached by calling her supervisor, Jennifer Radcliffe-Jones, and asking for Jenyse's cell number. Jennifer's number is 361-248-3406)
(7) CNA Classes – When in session meets every Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30pm till done. Meet in the Sunday School Rooms in the back.
(Sponsored by Los Mestenos. Please contact Crystal at 361-228-3676 for details)
(8) GED Classes – When in session meets every Tuesday and Wednesday at 5:40 PM till done.
(Sponsored by Los Mestenos. Contact Crystal at 361-228-3676 for details)
(See our table in Fellowship hall for more information on Existing Events)
January 30, 2019
A couple of Sundays ago, my message was from Luke 4:14-21, and I talked a little about Jesus and his return visit to the synagogue in Nazareth. Nazareth was the place Jesus was raised and the place He departed from at the early age of 12 or 13. Exactly where Jesus went during all the years between His departure and the time He returns at age 28 or 29 is somewhat of a biblical mystery as the scriptures do not mention Him at all. Not until His baptism in the Jordan River by John the Baptist (Jesus's Cousin) is Jesus again mentioned.
Luke 4:14-21 has Jesus, fresh from baptism, fresh from 40 days of "temptetation in the wilderness" and fresh from his first round of healing and teaching in the region of Galilee, back in His childhood synagoue at Nazareth reading from Isaiah 61:1-2 which said:
The point I was trying to make that Sunday was that Jesus still does these things today…because His Church does them...and we do them.
The poor gain hope whether it’s their souls or their bodies that are starved.
The captives experience freedom…whether they are prisoners in a jail or prisoners of an unspiritual lifestyle. Set free thru the promises in the Bible.
The blind receive sight…whether it’s cataract surgery at a church hospital…or the scales of prejudice falling off the eyes of a bigot.
The oppressed are set free….whether oppression is by a political regime or a chemical dependence.
When Jesus read that passage from Isaiah in the Nazareth synagogue…he announced a mission statement for himself…and for His body the Church.
We have not forgotten Christ's mission statement…here at the Falfurrias First United Methodist Church. Here are some examples of you church at work in 2018…where the love of Jesus touched the hearts of some…who maybe thought nobody cared…and that they didn’t matter.
This past year your church has sponsored the following ministries:
1.Bible Study – Sunday’s at 6pm
2.Christian Movie Night – 4th Sat at 5:30pm
3.Methodist Counselor – Wednesdays at 1pm
4.Purple Door Counselor – Monday’s at 9am
5.CNA Classes –When is Session
6.GED Classes – When in Session
7.Hands of Hope - Every Wednesday between 10 am and 2 pm.
8.Thanksgiving and Christmas – Holiday Meals Delivered
9.Nomads – Help to the Community during the December-January timeframe.
10.Lent Community Fish Fry and Christmas in November Events.
11.Youth Sunday School – Every Sunday during Church Service starting in February.
12. Food to Those in Need - Provided by altar rail offerings left there on Communion Sundays.
I know the mountain that we need to climb to do these things looks foreboding...but should we not try...as long as God allows us to draw breath.
John Wesley himself said..."Do all the good you can...By all the means that you can...In all the ways that you can...In all the places you can...At all the times you can...To as many people as you can...For as long as you can.
If you are up to the climb...will you join me as we truly try and be the "hands and feet" of the "Body of Christ" in Falfurrias during this new year. Please come talk to me if you are.
Jesus said in Luke 10:2 "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few".
Jesus was right about this back in His time 2000 plus years ago...and also in our time...today.
God Bless each of you and see you in church :)
Our churches are committed to the following vision for the future:
1. Worship Well
2. Grow Together Spiritually
3. Promote Children & Youth Programs
4. Reach Out to Meet the Needs of our Communities
Come visit us and see how we are working on these visions!
Pastor Lon Scott
First UMC Falfurrias
First United Methodist Church of Falfurrias
302 W Allen St
Falfurrias, TX 78355
Phone: 361 325-2912
First United Methodist Church of Premont
248 SW 1st Street
P.O. Box 630
Premont, TX 78375
Falfurrias UMC - 9:15 a.m.
Premont UMC - 11:30 a.m.
Falfurrias @ 9:15 a.m.
Pastor Lon is generally in the Pastors Office at Falfurrias FUMC on:
(1) Friday's from 4pm to 6pm and
(2) Saturdays from 1pm to 2pm
You are always welcome to stop by.
If you would like to visit with Pastor Lon at a seperate time please call 817-907-2284 to to speak with him directly.
You are NOT required to be a member of our church to seek pastoral counseling.